766 First documentary mention of â€žMannenheimâ€œ
1606 Prince Elector Friedrich IV. started the erection of the fortress â€œFredericksburgâ€. The quadratic system of the city is formed
1664 A modest castle was erected on the castle grounds
1720 Prince Elector Carl Philipp of the Palatinate transferred his residence from Heidelberg to Mannheim. Laying of the foundation stone on July 2nd according to the plans of Johann Caspar Herwatel. After his death in the same year Jean Clemens Froimon takes over the construction management
1726 Guillaume d`Hauberat became new architect
1728 Cosmas Damian Asam and court sculpture Paul Egell work in the castle church, later on in the knightÂ´s hall and in the main staircase.
1731 Consecration of the castle chapel on Mai 13th . In November Carl Philipp moved into his apartments in the western Corps de Logis
1737 The Venetian Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini painted the ceilings of the Emperors Quarters, known under this name since 1742
1741 Alessandro Galli di Bibiena advanced to chief architect and erected the opera house.
1742 Consecration of the opera house, on the occasion of the double marriage
1742 17. January: â€œThe doubled high Beylagerâ€: Carl Theodor of Palatinate-Sulzbach and Elisabeth Augusta, oldest granddaughter of Karl Philipp, as well as Duke Clemens of Bavaria with Marie Anna, 2nd granddaughter of Karl Philipp, are married. Count of the Palatinate Friedrich Michael of Palatinate-Sulzbach and Maria Franziska Dorothea, the youngest granddaughter of Karl Philipp are engaged.
1742 31. December: Carl Philipp died. Count of the Palatinate Carl Theodor inherited from his uncle the right to be an Elector
1750 Start of erecting the eastern wing of the castle with library, comedy house, horse stables, remise, saddlerÂ´s apartment and horse riding school, home of the black smith as well as the pavilions under supervision of Nicolas de Pigage and Rabliati
1754 Completion of the interior of the southeast pavilion and the stone pavement of the stables court.
1760 Conclusion of the castle erection. Modernizing of the furniture exhibition by art carpenter Jakob Kieser
1762 Nicolas de Pigage, Court Garden Director, planed and put up all court gardens in Mannheim, Schwetzingen and Heidelberg
1763 Foundation of the Mannheim Academy of Science
1777 Death of Prince Elector Maximilian III Josef of Bavaria on December 30th. Carl Theodor inherits Bavaria
1778 Carl Theodor moves his residence to Munich
1778 The Mannheim National Theatre saw the first performance of the social critic drama â€œDie RÃ¤uberâ€ â€“ â€œThe Robbersâ€ â€“ by Friedrich Schiller
1795 Ball and Opera House are burned down and destroyed during the siege of Mannheim by the French
1803 Disbandment of the Palatinate: Mannheim comes into possession of Baden. Mannheim Castle receives the status of a Grand DukeÂ´s second residence.
1804 On the occasion of the stay of King Gustav IV the Castle is provided with completely new furniture. Precious goblin tapestry is bought from the heritage of Cardinal Rohan
1806-1811 The Grand Duke Couple by heritage Carl of Baden and Stephanie Napoleon lives in the Castle
1808 Stephanie orders Friedrich Ludwig Sckell and Johann Michael Zeyher to build a castle park in English style
1811 Death of Carl Friedrich. His grandson Carl takes over the government in Karlsruhe
1818 Death of Grand Duke Carl. Grand Duchess Stephanie moves with her house-hold into the western part of the castle as widow seat
1840 Consecration of the Rhine harbor and opening of the railway line
1860 Death of Stephanie. Her house-hold in Mannheim is dissolved
1893-1906 Extensive renovating and restoration measures at the castle
1894 The bronze horse rider monument of Emperor Wilhelm I. is unveiled in the court of honor. Two monumental fountains are erected by the artist Gustav Eberlein
1918 Resignation of Grand Duke Friedrich II following the November Revolution
1919 The Mannheim Castle comes into possession of the free state of Baden by the Act of Satisfying
1926 Installation of the castle museum
1940-1943 Destruction of the castle by air raids during the Second World War
1947 Start of the reconstruction
1951-1956 Moving in of the Finance Department, the High School of Economy and the Regional Court
1961 Handing over of the renovated middle part of the castle
1967 Upgrading of the High School of Economy to University. She receives further castle rooms for lectures
2002-2007 Extensive renovation measures with re-erection of the historical attic roofs as well as the court of honor to the original shape
March 2007 Re-Opening of the castle with the newly furnished state hall on the occasion of the 400-years town jubilee. The precious wall carpets returned.